Enrich Your Travels with Longitude
We've got the classic, new and hard-to-find books and maps to help you get the most out of your adventures.
If you have a web site, enhance it with a link to Longitude, the book service specializing in the most informative, entertaining and useful books on places round the world.
Weve got the classic accounts of exploration, guidebooks, novels, field guides, maps and other books that intellectually curious travelers demand. We pride ourselves on our knowledge, great service, and careful selection of the best books and maps, which may be otherwise hard to find.
You can trust our recommendations. We create reading list for travelers with museums, university alumni, zoos and other groups, something Darrel has been doing for fifteen years. We pick the best books that travelers have enjoyed.
Weve worked hard to come up with an e-commerce site that will work for you.
- Focused reading recommendations for destinations around the world
- A distinctly non-commercial feel: no banner advertising, and certainly no publisher-paid book recommendations.
- Trustworthy book and map recommendations, based on years of travel and reading, both our own and that of our educational travel partners
- Knowledgeable, prompt customer service. You can call us on the phone!
- Hard to find books, stocked and ready to ship, some available only through Longitude
- A business founded on service to tour operators and non-profit travel organizations
- Features travel and our tour operator partners
- We don't market tours or trade your names to another tour operator. Customer information is strictly confidential
Make a Reading Guide
You may also want to provide reading lists directly to your travelers. You can print or e-mail a page from our site or, better yet, you can take advantage of the Make A Reading Guide option to create a handsomely formatted document to include with your pre-departure materials.
Expert Book Recommendations
- Its easy and its free. Depending on how your web site is organized and your needs, we provide the link to a reading guide for a specific tour destination, to a search field organized geographically or to our home page.
- You dont get a search engine chewing through millions of unsorted titles. You get a focused list of appropriate books for your travelers, all readily available from us.
- Web-shy visitors can print a reading guide and mail, fax or phone us and talk to someone who knows their books. The big guys dont do that. Well do that even when we are big.
Around the world with Longitude
- You earn free books by referring customers to Longitude (and make them happy too). As a Longitude Partner, for every book that we sell through a referral from your web site you will earn one degree of Longitude. Each degree is worth 50c towards free books from Longitude, so after 20º you'll have $10 worth of books, and after 60º, $30. At 180º, when you're halfway around the world, you'll get a bonus from us.
- You earn free books whether people call us on the phone, order online over the web, mail or fax their order. Any sales generated through distribution of printed reading guides with our order information counts for credit too. We encourage it.
A full service book resource
- Our original business was in providing book recommendations included in printed pre-departure information. Our web site can do the same for you.
- As a Longitude Partner, youll get an automatic discount on any books that you buy from us directly, generally 20% and sometimes more.
- If you include or would like to include books as a premium to your travelers, we can recommend and send the books for you, including shipping directly to your clients with your label and marketing information.
- We recommend and provide shipboard, office and private libraries.
Depending on the volume and the nature of your organization, you may qualify to be a Select Partner, currently limited to our top clients. As a Select Partner:
- We will list you on our web site with a description of your business and provide a link to your site. Our web visitors are avid travelers.
- We will add links to your site from the geographically appropriate destination page on our site. Visitors who click on a list of recommended books on, for example, Alaska, can follow links from that page to your Alaska tours.
- You won't lose traffic. Travel links are suppressed for visitors who are referred to Longitude via a registered link from your site.
- Read the Longitude partner agreement.
- Register by completing the application with some basic information about your business. We'll send you an e-mail confirmation with your site code and other details. With this code, you'll be able to place links on your site that we can track.
- Put the links on your site. You can link to our home page, geographic search, a destination page or an individual book. The more targeted the better.
- You may also want to provide reading lists directly to your customers. You can print and distribute reading lists the old-fashioned way by mail, include book information in an e-mail bulletin or send a page from the site.
- For select Longitude Partners, we provide reciprocal links, a listing on our site, and other benefits, including custom reading lists for your programs.